The Laboratory was founded in 1954 and was headed by Prof. S.P.Syzenko. From 1973 to 1978 the Laboratory was headed by Senior Researcher L.P.Kindzelsky, 1978-1988 – Prof. V.A. Chernichenko, 1988-2000 – Prof. V.A. Baraboy. Since 2005 Dr. N. Khranovska is the head of the Laboratory. In 2009 within Laboratory of Experimental Oncology a subdivision of Molecular-Genetics Diagnostics was established. Since 2010 Research Laboratory of Experimental Oncology is a Reference Laboratory of cancer molecular-genetics diagnostics in Ukraine.
Head of the Laboratory – N.M. Khranovska, PhD, Senior Scientific Researcher
N.M. Svergun, PhD, Scientific Researcher
O.V. Skachkova, Scientific Researcher
O.I. Novosad, MD, PhD, Physician-oncologist
S.V. Zemskov, MD, PhD, Physician-oncologist
N.V. Ionkina, Junior Scientific Researcher
O.I. Gorbach, Junior Scientific Researcher
M.V. Inomistova, PhD student
R.I. Sydor, PhD student
V.V. Nikulina, PhD student
Clinical Analysis Capabilities of the Laboratory of Molecular-Genetics Diagnostics
Molecular–genetic and molecular-cytogenetic analysis:
– molecular-genetic and molecular-cytogenetic analysis of diagnostic and prognostic markers of childhood solid tumors (neuroblastoma, rhabdomyosarcoma, Ewing’s sarcoma, synovial sarcoma, liposarcoma) and adult tumors (cervical cancer, endometrial cancer, hydatidiform mole, colorectal cancer, breast cancer, bladder cancer, kidney cancer);
– molecular-genetic and molecular-cytogenetic analysis of diagnostic and prognostic markers of lymphoproliferative diseases;
– evaluation of molecular-genetic markers of tumor sensitivity for chemotherapy, target therapy (colorectal cancer, breast cancer, melanoma, non-small cell lung cancer);
List of molecular-genetic analysis performed in the Laboratory of Molecular-Genetics Diagnostics (Table-1)
– immunophenotyping of peripheral blood and bone marrow cells for patients with lymphoproliferative diseases for diagnosis and disease prognosis;
– evaluation of CD34+ hematopoietic stem cells quantity in peripheral blood and leukoconcentrate for an post-chemotherapy authologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in children with solid tumors;
– investigation of immune system status alterations in cancer patients;
– immunomonitoring of dendrititc cell based vaccinotherapy efficacy.
List of immunological analysis performed in the Laboratory of Molecular-Genetics Diagnostics (Table-2)
Main research topics of the Laboratory of Experimental Oncology
І. Development of new methods for biotherapy of cancer, protocols and algorithms for their application for activation of specific anti-tumor immunity in order to prevent recurrence and metastasis:
– design and therapeutic potential investigation of dendritic cell based anti-tumor vaccines;
– identification of immune monitoring criteria of active specific anti-tumor immunotherapy.
ІІ. Investigation of anti-tumor, anti-methastatic and immunomodulatory effects of novel anti-tumor and immunomodulatory drugs using in vivo and in vitro models and methods of experimental oncology.
ІІІ. Investigation of molecular biomarkers for cancer diagnosis, prognosis and patients risk assesment. Development of molecular-genetic approaches to improve the efficiency of chemo- and target therapy, optimization of drugs administration and treatment individualization for cancer patients:
– development, improvement and implementation of molecular-genetic and molecular-cytogenetic methods of cancer diagnosis.
– investigation of genetic and epigenetic mechanisms of neuroblastoma pathogenesis and definition of new molecular biomarkers for the disease prognosis and patients risk stratification;
– estimation of circulating tumor cells role for the monitoring of treatment effectiveness and prediction of cancer recurrence and metastasis;
– investigation of pharmacokinetic biomarkers for cancer susceptibility, prediction of anti-tumor treatment efficacy and chemotherapy toxicity;
– investigation of tumor DNA ploidy alterations for the prediction of effectiveness of novel approaches of cancer treatment.
During the last 10 years, more than 300 papers, among them 120 papers in the specialized journals, 1 monograph, 1 methodological recommendations, 2 information letters were published; 25 declarative patents of Ukraine and 1 certificate for the invention were received; 130 talks at scientific conferences, including 50 foreign were presented. 1 dissertation for Doctor’s degree and 2 dissertations for Candidate’s degree were defended. Currently, 1 dissertation for Doctor’s degree and 3 dissertations for Candidate’s degree are been performed within the research topics of Laboratory.
Students of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv, National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute”, National University of Kyiv-Mohyla Academy accomplish bachelor’s and master’s research projects within the Laboratory.
Unit of molecular–genetic diagnostics
– 7300 Real–Time PCR System (Applied Biosystems, USA);
– 7500 Real–Time PCR System (Applied Biosystems, USA);
– Veriti® Thermal Cycler (Applied Biosystems, USA);
– Spectrophotometer NanoDrop 1000 (Thermo Scientific, USA);
– QiaCube (Qiagene, Germany);
– Molecular Imager Gel Doc XR System (BioRad, USA);
– other common laboratory equipment.
Unit of molecular-cytogenetic diagnostics
– Axio Imager М1 (Carl Zeiss, Germany);
– TermoBrite (Abbot Molecular Inc., USA);
– other common laboratory equipment
Unit of immunological studies
– Flow Cytometer FACSCalibur (Becton Dickinson, USA);
– inverted microscope;
– other common laboratory equipment.
Unit of cell technologies
– Freeze Control CryoPreservation System (CryoLogic, Australia);
– CO2 incubator (Thermo Scientific, USA);
– laminary boxes
Unit of experimental studies
– CO2 incubator (Ukraine)
– laminar box
Archive of biological material
– HFC 286 Basic (Thermo Scientific, USA) – low temperature freezer