Modern National Cancer Institute of Ukraine (NCIU) is clinical and research internationally accredited cancer center, an integral part of the specialized, highly qualified cancer care in Ukraine. The NCIU covers all cancer-control dimensions: prevention, screening, care and research. NCIU conducts research on basic, translational and clinical levels that ultimately leads to important clinical outcomes: improvements in prevention, diagnosis, and therapy that can reduce the morbidity and mortality of all types of cancer. NCIU plays the key role as cancer research performer thanks to the scientific quality of its team and its ability to conduct translational research from the laboratory to the patient. NCIU is constantly trying to further advance the “state of the art” care for cancer patients and acts as a research and education center in development, offering and sharing of innovative diagnostic and therapeutic modalities for cancer patients. NCIU develops and implements the national and regional cancer control strategies, coordinates regional oncology networks, and helps to build the capacity in regional oncology hospitals in different areas of cancer care, particularly through educational and training programs.
- Strategic Goals aim to upgrade research and innovation capacity as well as enhance an international network.
- Increasing the capacity for basic and translational cancer research in the following fields: tumor genetics and genomics, epigenomics and transcriptomics, tumor immunology and immunotherapy, nanotheranostics, biomarkers research for personalized therapy;
- Implementation of the high-throughput sequencing techniques and bioinformatics;
- Development and implementation of new technologies for manufacturing of advanced therapeutic products including cell and gene therapies;
- Better integration of basic and clinical departments through collaborative activities and thus positioning of NCIU as a suitable partner for translational research;
- Increasing the capability for randomized clinical trials supported by governmental and pharmaceutical funding;
- Increasing the number and quality of publications as well as international projects;
- Reaching the high scientific standards and become a center of excellence in cancer research;
- Enhancing the scientific reputation, attractiveness and networking channels;
- Strengthening the cooperation with world leading counterparts and the development of strategic partnerships;
- Improving the capability to compete successfully for national, EU and international research funding;
- Internationalization of research and integration into the European Research Area (ERA).
- Enhancement of the integration of biomedical innovations into healthcare;
- Expansion of the communication activities which will be addressed to the general public and stakeholders to promote NCIU`s achievements and to link them to the societal values;
- Development and implementation of state programs on oncology and National Screening Programs for cervical, rectal and breast cancer;
- Informing the community about preventive health measures and screening modalities of malignant neoplasms;
- Monitoring of the level of cancer incidence, mortality and prevalence in the population of Ukraine and analysis of the main trends of the onco-epidemiological process; the results are annually published in the Bulletin of Ukrainian National Cancer Registry (UNCR) (http://www.ncru.inf.ua)
- Conducting fundamental, search and applied research on cancer epidemiology and anti-cancer control management;
- Development and implementation of modern information technology of NCR in oncology institutions;
- Scientific and methodological guidance for the network of regional cancer registries and development of regulatory and legal documents for regulating their activities;
- Collaboration with international organizations (World Health Organization – WHO, International Agency for Cancer Research – IARC, International Association of Cancer Registries – IACR, European Network of Cancer Registries – ENCR) in the field of cancer registration and conducting joint onco-epidemiological studies;
- Onco-epidemiological investigation process of the scholastic radiation effects after the accident at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station.
- Providing the equal access to highly specialized cancer care founded on the evidence-based medicine;
- Offering a full range of services during and after cancer patients treatment, including preparing for the treatment, emotional support for patient and patient’s family, and tools for preventing and managing of side effects;
- Enhancing the level of diagnostic and treatment of cancer through incorporating the scientific and technical advances;
- Awareness raising of cancer patients, their relatives and friends about their disease and methods of treatment through a range of services (website, guides, hotline, social networks etc.);
Improvement of patient life quality throughout the treatment and beyond.
- Providing the conditions for personalized cancer therapy and future clinical trials that offer an opportunity for the best available cancer treatment;
- Developing and improving the relevant care procedures for people with rare cancers, people with a genetic predisposition, elderly people, children and teenagers;
Wider introduction of minimally invasive and organ-saving interventions.
EDUCATION AND KNOWLEDGE DISSEMINATION
- Improvement of the vocational education and making it more international by supporting the mobility of scientist and PhD students;
- Increasing the professional competence with respect to diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of the diseases that can translate patient care-related priorities into sustainable research program;
- Strengthening the education capacity through online repositories of training material, training and PhD programs, exchanges and expert visits, networking and collaborations for sustainable NCIU development;
- Enhancing knowledge and skills dissemination, awareness of the population concerning the cancer research and innovations;
- Upgrading the S&T capacity and capability in terms of the quality of cancer research as well as human potential;
- Elaboration the training modules for researchers and PhD students to train them on good practices of knowledge and technology on the ongoing basis;
- Implementation of the telemedicine to provide advisory assistance to other cancercenters;
- Maintaining the high level of NCIU employees’ qualification by trainings, fellowships at leading scientific institutions all over the world and participating in the international conferences;
- Increasing the intramural collaboration and competition at NCIU (jointly published papers, joint applications to international / national grants).
- Constant improvement of the material-technical base for carrying out scientific researches and patients treatment;
- Acquisition and/or upgrading of the research and diagnostic equipment with focus at upgrading the core facilities: tumor bank, high-throughput sequencing, cell analysis and sorting, clean rooms for PCR and cell culture.
- Modernization of the Ukrainian National Cancer Registry;
- Construction of an up-to-date chemotherapy and radiotherapy facilities, clean rooms for bone marrow transplantation;
- Increasing linkage with the economic and social environment, job openings and better career opportunities as well as contribution to preventing the brain-drain process in Ukraine.