The National Cancer Institute conducts scientific and technical cooperation in the framework of bilateral agreements on scientific cooperation with foreign scientific and medical institutions and international organizations.
Long-term cooperation agreements with leading research and medical institutions and international organizations
1) Cooperation with the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) in the fields of epidemiological researches of morbidity and mortality from malignant neoplasms in the world. The objective of the cooperation is to provide not personal primary information about cases and mortality from malignant neoplasms in Ukraine in order to calculate the relevant parameters and their publication in the publication «Cancer incidence in Five Continents».
2) Memorandum about scientific cooperation with the Cavendish Laboratory of Cambridge University (UK). The objective of the cooperation is compatible fundamental and applied researches in the field of the magnetic nanotherapy of malignancies.
3) Memorandum about cooperation with the University of California (Irvine, USA). The memorandum envisages cooperation, facilities and technologies for research cooperation in various areas of cancer research. In the framework of cooperation in 2012 has been started research program “Establish the role of structural and functional abnormalities of nicotinic cholinergic receptors genes in the occurrence of malignant tumors.”
4) Agreement about common practice in research and practical cooperation in the field of experimental and clinical oncology with the Biomedical Institute of Clemson University (USA). The agreement is dedicated to the organization of common practice in research and practical cooperation in the field of experimental and clinical oncology, in particular, in scientific research associated with the establishment of anti-tumor vaccines based on dendritic cells and their clinical application.
5) Cooperation in the field of Oncology and Medical Radiology with the National Centre of Oncology, Ministry of Health, of the Republic of Azerbaijan. The agreement envisages versatile expansion of cooperation in the research of clinical, experimental and preventive oncology and medical radiology. Agreement provides: exchange of information materials (monographs, journals, congresses and conferences materials, guidelines, abstracts of works, theses, etc.); extension of work in mutual reviewing of scientific production both within self-cooperation, and on the level of state certification of scientific personnel; training of scientific personnel via selection places in the postgraduate and doctoral studies, and adoption professionals on the workplace for training; ensure mutual invitation of experts on forums of oncology and radiology held in Azerbaijan and in Ukraine; exchange of experience in cancer healthcare organization in both countries and statistic data; ensuring mutual information on the new methods of diagnosis and treatment; annual discussion of current issues of oncology and medical radiology in the meetings; enhance cooperation under the auspices of the Association of oncological institutions of the CIS.
6) Memorandum about understanding between the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Macedonia and the National Cancer Institute. The memorandum envisages cooperation in the organization of educational events of professional development in the areas of mutual interest. In particular, the organization of short- and long-term courses for healthcare specialists from the Republic of Macedonia: a) in the medical centers in Ukraine; b) visit of Ukrainian leading experts in oncology to medical centers of the Republic of Macedonia.
7) Agreement on scientific and practical cooperation in the field of clinical oncology with the Hospital of the University of Jan Byzelya, Bydgoszcz, Poland. The agreement provides scientific and practical cooperation in the field of clinical oncology, both in terms of treatment of patients and research. The Parties regularly exchange information on advances in clinical oncology and research.
8) Agreement on scientific and practical cooperation with the Institute of Oncology of Southern Switzerland (IOSI – Istituto Oncologico della Svizzera Italiana). The agreement provides cooperation in the field of scientific research, covering both clinical and aspects related to translational research. The objectives of cooperation are: providing the National Cancer Institute with information on advances in clinical oncology and research efforts; participation of the National Cancer Institute in the international researches controlled or administered by IOSI; support of the National Cancer Institute requests on probation if the National Cancer Institute will be needed in these internships mainly to improve and strengthening of clinical and scientific cooperation; providing National Cancer Institute’s patients with the external advisory assistance; ensure the involvement of international experts to attend international conferences in Ukraine.
9) Cooperation with the Italian Research Group for the study of lymphoma (FIL). The aim of cooperation is to organize scientific researches of lymphomas. It is envisaged to perform the following tasks: cooperation of research groups focused on lymphoma; improvement of approaches to diagnostics and treatment of lymphoproliferative diseases based on the results of researches; research of new prognostic factors for lymphomas; validation of the role of PET in the diagnosis and evaluation of response to the therapy for lymphoma.
10) Cooperation with the International advisory diagnostic online platform iPath. The aim of cooperation is to take part in online consultations of histological and immunohistochemical materials in difficult diagnostic cases in the field of oncology. In the framework of cooperation, it is envisaged to improve the quality of preparation of histological preparations; optimization of immunohistochemical panel study; online consultation of complex morphological cases with leading experts in Europe; continuous improvement of knowledge in the diagnosis of lymphoproliferative diseases.
11) Cooperation with the International Lymphoma Patients Organization (Lymphoma Coalition). The aim of cooperation is to consolidate the efforts of patient organizations from different countries to raise awareness about lymphoproliferative diseases, improve the quality of medical care for patients. As part of the cooperation it is envisaged to increase knowledge level about lymphoproliferative diseases; strengthening psychological care for patients during and after completion of chemotherapy and radiation therapy; improving the quality of patient health care.
12) Cooperation with diagnostic reference laboratory “CDD” USA. Collaboration in the field of cervical cancer and HPV diagnostics.
13) Memorandum of Understanding between the Centre of Molecular Immunology of Cuba and the National Cancer Institute. The purpose of this Memorandum of Understanding is an association of efforts to disseminate new knowledge in the development of new effective methods of treatment of cancer, using methods and products of medical and biopharmaceutical industry.
Participation in the international projects and programs
Joint with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) regional projects of scientific and technological cooperation:
1.1 RER/6/026 “Strengthening SPECT/CT and PET/CT applications for diagnostics of chronic diseases”.
1.2 RER 6025-001 “Regional Training Course on Dosimetry and Quаlity Assurance of External Beam Radiotherapy”.
1.3 UKR/6/010 ”Developing and Implementing a National Quality Control System by Strengthening and Capacity of Medical Physics at Radiotherapy Departments”.
International charitable project of the European Union «Soleterre».
International multicenter project «PAIN OUT International», dedicated to overcoming (control) of acute pain in medical institutions.
International program “Modernization of Nuclear Medicine in Countries of Central and Eastern Europe.” In 2013, in the National Cancer Institute was organized National Workshop of the IAEA for medical physicists, held on 24-27.09.2013. Director of this Workshop – Professor Solodyannykova O.I. First Workshop participants were 25 physicists from all regions of Ukraine; they received certificates of education of international standard approved by the IAEA.
Scientists and specialist of the National Cancer Institute are actively involved in the international professional organizations and work closely with them.
Memberships in the international professional organizations and cooperation with them:
European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO). Cooperation consists in regular professional contacts with leading experts from Europe in order to improve academic and professional resources of national oncology, represent own achievements on the international level, take advantage of educational opportunities, participation in renowned scientific and educational programs. In the framework of collaboration, it is expected to attract international experts to participate in oncological conferences in Ukraine; participation in the annual ESMO congresses; publication of materials of own researches in ESMO publications; improvement of professional skills, career development through participation in grants and internships in the leading research institutions and hospitals in Europe. Deputy Director of research work of the National Cancer Institute, MD Kryachok I.A. is the National Representative of Ukraine in ESMO.
Association of Directors of oncology, radiology and roentgenology centers and institutes of the CIS member countries. Director of the National Cancer Institute, Professor Schepotin I.B. regularly participates in the meetings of the Association of Directors of oncology, radiology and roentgenology centers and institutes of the CIS to discuss strategic issues of oncology in the CIS countries, including the organization of cancer services, an exchange of experience in solving contemporary problem issues of oncology and radiology, discussing of strategy for the organization of congresses for oncologists of the CIS and scientific conferences. The received experience and the information are used to improve practical and research work of the National Cancer Institute. The National Cancer Institute is co-organizer and active participant of the CIS oncologists congresses and thematic conferences with an exchange of experiences and professional development of scientists and doctors-oncologists from CIS countries.
European Association for Cancer research (EACR). The cooperation is intended to increase scientific and methodological level in fundamental and applied research in oncology, participation in schools and educational programs conducted by top researchers in Europe, sharing own experience and establishing of contacts for a fruitful cooperation. Researcher of the Research Laboratory of Experimental Oncology PhD Svergun N.M. is the Ambassador for EACR in Ukraine.
International Extranodal Lymphomas Study Group (IELSG). The aim of cooperation consists in intensification of studies of tumor biology and to improve the treatment of patients with extranodal lymphoma. Tasks of cooperation are systematization of knowledge on extranodal lymphomas, research of biology features and therapy protocols optimization of extranodal lymphomas specific forms, introduction of new standards of therapy in clinical practice. In the framework of cooperation was taken an active part in the research and developed new standards of care for this lymphoma; participation in the annual convention of group members to discuss research results and further optimization researches (Active research – “A randomized, multicenter, comparative, phase III investigations in two groups to evaluate the role of radiation therapy on the area of the mediastinum after rituximab-containing chemotherapy in patients with newly diagnosed primary mediastinal large-B-cell lymphoma”
International Organization EuropeanLeukemiaNet & (ELN). The aim of cooperation is to increase the awareness on the problem of malignant blood diseases and the access to worldwide network interdisciplinary studies of leukemia. Tasks of cooperation is to improve the prevention, diagnostics and treatment of leukemia; providing the patients with more fast access to innovative medicines; establishment of a registry of patients with leukemia; increase the duration and quality of life for patients with leukemia. In the framework of cooperation is organized the access to worldwide interdisciplinary studies network of leukemia; in 2013 was received two grants to attend the annual conference of the organization.
Eurasian Federation of Oncology. The goal of membership in the Eurasian Oncology Program is to exchange of experience, professional development and mutually beneficial cooperation between doctors and scientists from different countries of the Eurasian continent. They are working on problems of diagnosis, treatment and prevention of malignant tumors and promote the idea of a healthy lifestyle. The National Cancer Institute is an active participant and co-organizer of forums that Eurasian Federation of Oncology initiates.
International Organization EHA (European hematology association). Collaboration is intended to exchange experience, improve clinical practice, raise education level of Ukrainian hematologists and shall pursue the following objectives: provide opportunities for access to scientific and educational resources of EHA; professional development of oncohematologists of Ukraine through the introduction of active learning methods through training in seminars and conferences with international participation; participation in the annual congresses and thematic conferences; publication of abstracts, articles in journals of EHA; ensure the possibility of cooperation with international experts, their support for the research and educational events in oncology.
European Society of Pathologists (ESP). Collaboration is intended to exchange experience and to improve morphological, immunohistochemical, molecular-genetic and cytogenetic diagnostics of malignant tumors by the advising and supervision of leading experts in the programs of quality control studies organized by ESP. National Cancer Institute regularly receives consultative assistance from leading European pathologists and molecular biologists.
International Organization FEBS (Federation of European Biochemical Societies). Collaboration is intended to improve scientific and methodological level in biochemical researches in oncology, obtaining new knowledge during participation in schools and educational programs. In the framework of cooperation in 2013 was received a grant to attend the FEBS Advanced Lecture Course, where own experience was introduced.
International Association of Surgeons Gastroenterologists and Oncologists (IASGO). Cooperation consists in regular professional contacts with leading experts in the world to enhance scientific and professional resources of national oncology, presenting of own achievements on the international level, usage of the benefits of educational opportunities, participation in renowned scientific conferences and educational programs.
In all 50 international professional organizations, including: International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Assosiation (IHPBA); International Gastric Cancer Organization (IGCA); European Cancer Organization (ECCO); National Civil Science Foundation of the USA; All-Union Society of Surgeon; All-Union Society of Oncologists; European Association for Cancer Research (EACR); American Association for Cancer Research; American Radiation Research Society; North-American Hyperthermia Society; American Society of Surgical Oncology; American Society of Surgery of Alimentary Tract; European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO); Association of clinical cytologists of RF; European Association of Urology; European Association of Nuclear Medicine; Polish Association of Oncogynecologists; Russian Association of Oncogynecologists; European Society of Oncogynecologists (ESGO); International Union Against Cancer (UICC); International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC); International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer (IASLC); European Society of Pathologists (ESP); Union of Allergists and Immunologists CIS; World Allergy Organization (WAO); Eastern European Group for the Study of Sarcomas; Russian Association of Interventional Radiology; European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO); European Society of Coloproctology (ESCP); Russian Society of Coloproctology; Eurasian Federation of Oncology (ЕАFO); European Group for Bone Marrow Transplantation; American Association of Hematologists; European Hematology Association (ЕНА); European Association of Anesthesiologists; World Organization for Pain; European Organization for Regional Anesthesia; ILN- 2; International Society of Gynecological Cancer (IGCS); Russian Association of Endoscopists; World Federation for Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering; European Association for Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery; The European Biochemical Society (FEBS); International Association of Urology; European Association of Endourology; American Society of Urology; European Association of Cryosurgery; European Society of Surgeons Oncology; International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer; International Association of Surgeons – Gastroenterologists and Oncologists (IASGO).
Scientists and specialists of the National Cancer Institute take an active part in the international professional forums. In 2013, 113 employees of the Institute participated in international congresses, conferences, symposia, etc. In 2013, 8 presentations of scientists of the National Cancer Institute were awarded as the best at the international professional forums.
Scientists and specialists of the National Cancer Institute actively improve their professional skills in a leading research and medical foreign institutions. In 2013, 32 of the Institute have been trained or participated in workshops abroad. In 2013, scientists and specialists of the National Cancer Institute received 14 international travel grants for training or participation in workshops and international forums.
In 2013, the National Cancer Institute hosted the delegation from Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge. In February 2013, there was a one-day visit to the National Cancer Institute of a delegation of UK scientists, including 2 people: Dr. T. Mitrelias and Dr. M. Tselepi. The purpose of the visit was to conduct technical consultations and discuss possible cooperation in the field of use of nanotechnology in treating cancer patients. The delegation visited a number of structural units of the institution and had final meeting with the Institute Director, Academician of Dr. Vasyl F. Chekhun. The purpose of the visit was to get acquainted with Ukrainian Development of equipment for diagnosis and magnetic nano-therapy of cancer. The delegation visited a number of structural units of the Institute and had a final meeting with the director of the Institute Professor I. Shchepotin, Professor V. Orel, Professor I.Smolanka, Director of R.Akhmetov Foundation “Development of Ukraine” A. Zabolotny, Director of concern “Radmir” S.Lytvynenko. During the meeting they discussed the possibility of cooperation in the application of the demonstrated equipment and tools.